Saturday, November 14, 2009

Paracord Lantern Pouch/Can Koozie

I made this paracord pouch using cow hitching, to fit my River Rock 3AA LED lantern. The pouch also works well as a can koozie.

I used up what I had left of my green paracord, and can only guess that the amount used was somewhere between 30 to 40 feet. A 2 foot length for the cord lock/cinch section and the rest is a single strand tied onto the cinch and cow hitched around to the bottom.

I was almost out of cord, so I used half hitching for the bottom section, which also lets the can koozie sit flat.

I've added a photo collage for starting 'cow hitching'. The last couple of photos are a couple of different starting methods. One is with your cord tied to itself, for a more permanent covering of something like a bottle, and the other is using a separate piece of cord as a drawstring/cinch strap with a cord lock, and then tie onto that piece of cord and start hitching. When you get to working around the bottom of a project, you can switch to half hitching to finish, and sew, melt, or super glue the end strand in place. Just click on the image for a larger version.

*Added to this blog post is another example made with 40 feet of paracord, tied onto the drawstring/cinch cord, that will make a pouch large enough to stretch over a 0.5 liter water bottle, still fits the lantern, and a soda/beer can too .

11 comments:

Jill said...

I stumbled upon your blog when looking for instructions on how to make a turks head knot. Your projects are incredibly creative! I hope to make a few soon.

Thanks for sharing such great information!
- Jill

Unknown said...

Awesome job Stormdrane. I really enjoy your work and look forward to your new projects. I have learned so much from your work. Please keep it coming.

OBEDIE 76

Anonymous said...

how do you do a cow hitch over and over? Thanks great project.

Stormdrane said...

I added a photo collage to the post for cow hitching.

Unknown said...

thanks for showing me more to do with 550 cord, I was getting a little bored making bracelets for people.

Arizona Skies said...

I found a link to your blog in the website "Instructables". I've always liked macrame and just ordered some black paracord from your supplier to try out a couple of your items. Great work, you're very talented, and I have bookmarked your blog and become a fan for further updates. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Great blog! I found you through the Instrucibles website and have enjoyed your projects.

A question about doing the cow-hitch, i've made this project twice now and keep getting kinks in the paracord. Any suggestions for how to avoid kinks in the cord while making the repetitive hitches?

Keep up the good work you're an inspiration to us all.

JAZ

Stormdrane said...

The cord will twist when pulling thru for each hitch, so I usually twist it in the opposite direction as I pull the cord thru.

Sometimes you have to take the time to straighten the cord out before continuing more hitching, if too much twist/kinks have developed in the line. This is just one of the time consuming parts of hitching.

Herminio said...

Thank you for your information. Greetings from Mexico

Anonymous said...

Hi Stormdrane,

How do you get the loops such an even size? Is this by hand/eye alone, or do you hitch around a dowel peg or something similar?

Thanks,

DDJ (UK)

Stormdrane said...

I do it by hand/eye, but if you have trouble keeping everything uniform as you work, you might try using a net making type gauge/mesh stick to space out your hitching. ;)